1. First off, thank you so much for taking the time to answer a few questions! I have to admit I was super excited when you agreed to do so! I’m absolutely in love with SH+LS, how did it come about? AW, THANKS!!!! IT CAME ABOUT WHEN ME & CHLOE, TWO STRUGGLING/BROKE ASS DESIGNERS THOUGHT IT WOULD BE MORE AFFORDABLE TO TEAM UP – AND NOW THAT WE’RE A TEAM, WE HAVE JUST BEEN BUILDING OFF EACH OTHERS CREATIVITY. IT’S BEEN AN AMAZING EXPERIENCE.
2. It’s awesome that you’re able to share this creative endeavor with your partner and friend Chloe Chippendale. Could you describe the roles that you play in the company? WELL, WE BOTH DESIGN. I AM MORE OF THE ILLUSTRATIVE ONE, AND CHLOE IS MORE ABOUT THE FIT CUT AND FEEL. I’VE BEEN WORKING UNDER SWIMWEAR DESIGNERS FOR THE PAST 7 YEARS, AND CHLOE HAS BEEN AN ASSISTANT BUYER FOR SOME SICK BOUTIQUES IN MAUI, HAWAII FOR THE PAST 5. TOGETHER, WE PRETTY MUCH COVER ALL THE BASES.
3. “Badass clothing for groupies, surfers, hippies, hitchhikers, rebels, skaters, lovers, stoners + other unusual suspects.” I love your down to earth aesthetic. What is it about these walks of life that inspires you? UM, PROBABLY BECAUSE WE ARE THESE WALKS OF LIFE, AS ARE THOSE WHO SURROUND US. LUCKY ENOUGH TO HAVE SPENT THE PAST 11 YEARS SURFING, AND WORKING ENOUGH TO SUPPORT MY LIFESTYLE – I SPEND A LOT OF TIME JUST LIVING IN THE MOMENT. MAUI IS FULL OF TRAVELERS, AND PAIA – WHERE I WORK AND PLAY, HAS A WIDE SPECTRUM OF TRAVELERS IN OUR GENERATION. YOU COULD LITERALLY WALK OUTSIDE YOUR HOUSE, DOWN TO THE HWY, STICK YOUR THUMB OUT – AND LET THE DAY TAKE YOU.
4. I would have given anything to experience Woodstock, something I’m sure we can both agree has greatly influenced our generations’ fashion trends. Pretend you’re there, what three artists are you most excited to see live? CROSBY STILLS NASH & YOUNG, JIMI HENDRIX, AND JOE COCKER!
5. If your favorite Sugarhigh +Lovestoned design could talk, what would it tell us? ROLLIN’ STONER tee….it’s about kickin back in the grass with your lover on a hot summer’s day, making-out + watching clouds turn into unicorns. it’s about ditching your high school prom and hot-boxing your parent’s car. it’s about sharing a spliff with 100 strangers in the crowd at a rock concert. it’s about being a dedicated fan + always making it to the front row. it’s about listening to your mom + dad’s old record collection and realizing that they were once just like you. it’s about opening your mind to the infinite possibilities of the universe and thinking about how crazy it is to be here. it’s about peace, love + experiencing the beauty in every moment. and above all, it’s about rock + roll.
6. What does the future hold for SH+LS? When and where will we be able to find your Fall/Holiday 2011 Collection? WE ARE GOING TO BE FEATURED ON THE SHOW PORTLANDIA – PRETTY FUN, AS WELL AS IN A COLLABORATION WITH CREEM MAGAZINE’S NEWEST ONLINE PROJECT. CHLOE IS TEAMING UP WITH SPIRIT HOODS FOR A BAD ASS COLLABORATION AT BURNING MAN. AND THERE’S A COUPLE MORE TRICKS UP OUR SLEEVES 🙂 OUR COLLECTION WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR PRE-ORDER ONLINE AT WWW.BOUTIQUETOYOU.COM, AS WELL AS IN STORES AT THE BEGINNING OF SEPTEMBER AT SWEET SWEET STORES LIKE PLANET BLUE AND WASTELAND IN CA, AND LIMELIGHT IN NY.
7. What does being a Raw Femme mean to you? I THINK IT’S A WELL CURATED LANDING PAD FOR ALL THINGS AWESOME & MADE BY GIRLS. XOXO